Mar 29, 2008

BAREFOOT CONTESSA

So what is a girl to do when one of her kids is sick for a week? Get caught up on laundry while watching the Food Channel (I NEVER get to watch daytime tv so it was kind of fun). I always get wildly inspired so I tried out a recipe from Ina Garten (the Barefoot Contessa). It was a caesar salad sandwich with homemade caesar dressing/spread.

The sandwich is comfort food at its best with baked chicken, bacon, arugula, shaved parmesan, sundried tomatos (which I omitted because I am the only one who likes them), and this spicy, tangy, delicious, caesar spread. The spread is made with LOTS of garlic, lemon juice, parsley (I didn't have any so I used some of the arugula), anchovy paste (Yep! Fred Meyer had it), dijon mustard and mayo. All this is piled on a crusty loaf of artisan bread - I opted for an Italian loaf.

There aren't words for how great this sandwich was! I wouldn't recommend it for the kids (unless you skip the caesar spread) - two of ours were at sleepovers and one was sick so it was the perfect night for Jason and I (and the neighbors) to indulge. I think we may have to run this one as a special at the Coffee Bar!

Also made this pea salad but I won't go on and on because.....it's pea salad.



4 comments:

Dave said...

That sandwich was DELICIOUS! Thanks for saving me a piece! :)

Unknown said...

I am SO jealous that ALL your friends didn't get to enjoy your masterpiece.

Unknown said...

I am SO jealous that ALL your friends didn't get to enjoy your masterpiece.

Dave said...

Jennifer... it helps to be the annoying neighbor who lives across the street, who always comes over when he smells something yummy. Or in this case, Shauna and I were bored and went over to chat... Kelly was just SURE I wouldn't like it. I was more than happy to prove her wrong!

Thanks again, Kelly! Whats for dinner TONIGHT?