Apr 8, 2008

DYING FOR TRYING

I recently read a great article by Jennifer Dyer that could have been penned by me. I have been really convicted lately about my impossible expectation of perfection in my home. I am driving myself (and my family) nuts! Here are a couple of tid-bits from the article that drove the point home.

"So why do I hold myself to the same rigid set of standards that are not only unrealistic but also binding? What is the big deal with a little mess (or a big one, as is the norm at my home)? I suppose it’s because culture tells us external things are of supreme importance. Jesus, however, placed a high priority on people and spending time with them. I doubt he ever left a house because someone had left socks out (or Legos or Barbie’s winter wardrobe)."

"When my idea of perfection becomes more important than
people it has moved past its proper place in my list of priorities."


"Believing I must be perfect before I reach out to others leads to misery of my own making. I’ve even shied away from friendships because other women seem to “have it all together” while I can’t remember to put on lipstick. It seems this sort of comparison is one of the most difficult things for women to overcome. I do it without realizing it, and in doing so, heap trouble on myself. When I compare my situation to others, I live by the extreme standards of the world and lose sight of what is most important—people. I can’t take stuff with me when I leave this earth. Why then should I spend time worrying over things that are not eternal?"

"I believe people want someone to be real and open with them so they feel comfortable enough to do the same. I often remind myself that perfection belongs to God. Jesus died on the cross so I don’t have to be perfect. It’s a gift of inestimable worth. So why should I hold myself to impossibly high standards?"

So friends, if and when you come to my home I apologize HERE AND NOW for the mess. I'm sorry if there is a dirty clothes pile under the banister where we throw them down to get to the laundry room. I regret that there is probably dust on all my wood surfaces even though I dust daily. And I'm really sorry that there might be "tinkles" on the guest toilet seat...my boys are trying. There! Now I won't have to go through all that when you come over and we can just get to gabbing.

1 comment:

j.q. said...

Those tinkles are me. Sorry babe, I'll be more careful from now on.

Great post. I'll help you in NOT cleaning constantly...and in not being perfect (I am REALLY good at that)...

:-)