Sep 4, 2008

BACK TO SCHOOL

I have very mixed emotions when it comes to back to school. I absolutely LOVE back to school shopping - especially for school supplies. I love the sights, the sounds, the smells (ever smelled a new eraser?). I love the excitement of the kids as they carefully pick out each pencil, folder and marker.

But the whole going back to school part is what gets me. I get very melancholy the week before. *side note: don't go to the hair salon when melancholy...hence my chopped off locks.* I genuinely enjoy my kids company. I enjoy summer as it affords us the opportunity to NOT have a schedule. We get up when we want, eat when we want, and go wherever, whenever. We always have a great time which makes me blue as Sept rolls around. It takes me the first week of school until I'm over it and then I have to admit I like the structure that the school year brings.

This is the first year that all three of my kids are in school. Jax started Kindergarten today and could not wait to get there and there certainly were no tears on his end when I left (I on the other hand - well, you know). Though he did tell Jason last night, "Dad, I don't think I want to go to Kindergarten. You have to learn and learn and learn and learn. I don't want to learn that much." I can see Jaxon being a great teachers helper! Riley started second grade with Mrs. Baker who is a second year teacher with much energy and a sweet disposition. She has one of her BFF's in class along with a whole slew of kids from her class last year. On the first day we walked in to a chorus of "RILEY" from half the class. Great for my little social butterfly. Fisher is at a new school this year where he is now the low man on the totem pole (the school is 4th - 6th). He has Mrs. Bellm who is new to the school this year. The big deal for him is that he has Coach McNabb for P.E. Coach McNabb is the high school football coach so you can understand why Fish is so stoked (does anyone say "stoked" anymore?). All in all I think it will be a great year for the clan.


1 comment:

j.q. said...

I love my kids!