Aug 21, 2008

WALLOWA LAKE

I've decided that my blog has become very depressing lately...sorry! However my intent was always to capture life as it is with all the ups and downs and I think I've stayed true to that. But finally, here is some fun stuff!

Riley and Jaxon and I had a great adventure to Wallowa Lake in eastern Oregon this past week (Jason and Fish had to stay in town for football). Jason's family planned a week of fun in the sun and it was also a chance to spread Grandma Jane's ashes there per her request. I can see why she wanted them there...it was beautiful! Deer everywhere, so tame they would eat out of your hand (later we found out we risked a $94 fine for feeding them - oh well, I would do it again!). The lake was pristine and F.R.E.E.Z.I.N.G. cold. The older I get the less tolerant of cold water I become. It was the first time in my life I have worn a wet suit to ski.

We also spent time in the charming little town of Joseph just a few miles down the road from Wallowa. Reminded me of Sisters with its western feel. Apparently they are know for their bronze galleries and there were beautiful bronze statues all through town. It was also the only place that had cell coverage. I'd forgotten what I ever did before cell phones. I have to admit I was stumped when I picked up an old fashioned phone and had to remember how to make a long distance phone call. Three separate calls to the operator later I finally was able to call Jason!

It was one of the most relaxing vacations I've ever had and Pete and Becky (Jason's aunt and uncle) were wonderful hosts. Highlights for the kids included the go-carts, bumper boats, horseback riding and of course riding the hydro behind the boat. I was so laid back that I really didn't snap a lot of photos but here are a few...


Riley on "Peaches" the horse


Jaxon dressed as a local

The family: Aunt Becky, Uncle Pete, Nana Pam, Kade and Tama

Jaxon on "Babe"

Just Jack

No comments: