May 3, 2008

A LITTLE FACE TIME

I had an epiphany tonight while slinging coffee for strangers...people are desperate for a little face time. We spend so much time interacting through technology; IM'ing, texting, blogging and so many hours virtually connecting that I think we are starved for real life, in the flesh human connection. It's too easy to miss the nuances and signals that can only be gleaned by proximity - watching movements and gestures, studying body language, hearing the tone of a voice and other subtleties that can't be realized through a keystroke.

This week I've listened while a young man told me about losing 152 pounds and a "seasoned" man told me about losing a son-in-law in a plane crash. I smiled while a prom queen gushed about her upcoming dance, and provided necessary caffeine for a weary life insurance salesman finally on his way home for the night. I loved his quip "it's the one insurance you are guaranteed to use."

This is my reminder to myself to engage and interact. Everyone has a story and I'm enjoying the opportunity to give them a little face time.

No comments: